Why use a Settlement Agent or Conveyancer in Western Australia?

The buying and selling of properties in Western Australia can be a complex process involving many governmental departments. The professional that undertakes the actual ‘placing’ of the property under the legal ownership of the buyer is called a settlement agent or conveyancer.
A settlement agent processes all the legal paperwork and actions required to successfully execute the transfer of the property’s legal ownership from a legally-compliant seller to a legally-compliant buyer.
We strongly recommend that you consult with a settlement agent or conveyancer registered with AICWA as early as possible in your journey to buying or selling property and especially before you sign the contract of sale.


Why an AICWA Member?

All members have the support and backing of the only professional body representing the Conveyancing Profession in WA, the Australian Institute of Conveyancers WA Division (AICWA). The AICWA in representing Settlement Agents (Conveyancers), is focused solely on Conveyancing and as a member, they are provided with up-to-date information and the support needed to act competently and professionally in Conveyancing. Take advantage of the professional service and expertise offered to you in the knowledge that you are in the safe hands of an expert Settlement Agent (Conveyancer).

Membership of AICWA

Being a member of the Australian Institute of Conveyancers WA Division means that the Settlement Agent (Conveyancer) must abide by the rules under the code of conduct of the AICWA which promote the highest levels of professional Conveyancing and ethical service.


The AICWA provides members with the opportunity to partake in education and training above that the compulsory professional development requirements set down by the industry regulator Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety. Continuing education is of utmost importance for maintaining and enhancing the skill and expertise that is needed to remain abreast of the ever-changing nature of the Conveyancing Profession and transferring property in Western Australia.
Along with providing regular updates and hosting education and training events the AICWA has initiated a programme providing additional training that we call the Certified Practicing Conveyancers (CPC) accreditation.

What is a CPC?

A CPC is a ‘Certified Practising Conveyancer’. To become a CPC, a Settlement Agent (Conveyancer) must have completed the educational and practical training requirements to hold certification and must also be a member of the AICWA. To maintain certification, they must also complete the annual continuing attendance requirements.


A Settlement Agency must maintain a policy of Professional Indemnity Insurance to be licensed in Western Australia and consumers are further protected by the fidelity guarantee fund.

Find a local Settlement Agent.Enter your suburub or address.